The Princeton Print Club
From PU Princeton University Library on May 28th, 2021
In 1940, book designer and collector Elmer Adler was invited to Princeton University for three years and stayed for 12 in an “experiment in the study of printing and the graphic arts.” He filled 12 rooms at 40 Mercer Street with permanent displays of fine printing along with rotating exhibitions managed by undergraduates and supervised by Adler, who was called the "Prince of Prints." They formed the Princeton Print Club to not only engage the students with a print lending library, but reach a broad community of artists, printers, and collectors.
Graphic Arts Curator Julie Mellby will present an illustrated history of the Princeton Print Club, joined by Marilyn Kushner, New York Historical Society, who will talk about the explosion of interest in printing and print collecting at that time, and by Alexandra Letvin, from the Allen Memorial Art Museum, Oberlin College, where they continue to circulate fine art prints to the students each semester as part of their Art Rental program.